Thursday 6 February 2014

A good-read and a guest-post

"- Have my parcels arrived from America?
- I don't know
- Can you find out?
- No.
India is the country of the No. That "no" is your test. You have to get past it. It is India's Great Wall; it keeps out foreigner invaders. Pursuing it energetically and vanquishing it is your challenge.(..)"

"I now realize that if you don't understand the no, pretend it doesn't exist, was never said, then slain by your incomprehension, it will transform itself abruptly into its opposite. Or it might never become a Yes but will turn into a wagging of the head, which can mean either No or Yes, depending on your interpretation. You will interpret the wagging generously, charitably, and proceed."

I am obsessed by this book these days. I can't put it away. It's brilliant, humorous, rough, moving and interesting - this "The mother of all Mumbai books" (according to Time Out Mumbai ). Suketu Mehta portraits Mumbai in a captivating way in his Maximum City. Bombay lost & found. As a 14 year old he left Mumbai, and returns 21 years later to rediscover the city. It's a fascinating journey to follow.

Mehta received good reviews and several prizes for his book, well deserved. It is a truly good-read!  I particularly like the words of Rohinton Mistry: “In Maximum City, Suketu Mehta has given us a brilliant book. He writes fearlessly about the horror and wonder that is Bombay. One by one, he reveals its multiple personalities: maleficent Bombay, bountiful Bombay, beckoning temptress of hope, manufacturer of despair–city of dreams and nightmare city. Best of all, reading this book helps one understand why Bombay can be an addiction.” 

I am so into this book, that when fellow blogger Amelia with her Chai - a Cup of Life asked if I could write a guest post on her blog, about Mumbai, I immediately thought: Yes, I can write about my Maximum City! And there is a first time for everything, right? - so my very first guest-blog on another blog was just published. Yey:-) A fun experience! You can read it here: My maximum city.

Here is a small taste from the post, hope you enjoy:

*******

"Here I have learned the rules of cricket, how to make pakoras and how to put on a sari. I have cried with homeless children, fought with rigid rules and physically removed a lady who tried to cheat in queue. Here I have ended up as a statist in a film shoot, seen elephants and had chai with people whom I will remember for the rest of my life. Here I have become immune to traffic jam, I have learned to dress like a Diva, indulge in spices and I have seen crocodiles, monkeys and rats. I have watched senior citizen doing yoga in the parks and I have seen babies deserted on the streets. Yet, I have never seen a brighter sunset than here."



- and you can read the rest of my guest post on the blog, if you like:-) 

Well it's a sunny and warm Thursday morning in Mumbai, and weekend is coming up. Stay tuned and have a great day, dear reader. Thank you for following:-)

22 comments:

  1. Eli, your post was beautiful and I think everyone could feel what you felt through your words. I seriously read it over and over and I can certainly relate to how you feel. Mumbai sounds like a pretty amazing place to live. (similar to Delhi) I'll have to check out the book your reading. Thanks once again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Amelia, and thanks for asking me, and for your sweet words! It was a fun thing to do:-) Hugs:-)

      Delete
  2. Loved your post, Eli. What a fabulous way to describe the city that never sleeps, The Maximum City!! Having stayed in Mumbai for 8 years, your post took me to a time travel. Thanks for re-kindling some fabulous memories of the city! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shilpa:-) I am so happy you enjoyed it! Truly a fascinating city!

      Delete
  3. Left a comment on Amelia's blog, Eli. Loved what you wrote - and glad to see Bandra featured in the pictures....that's where I live! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Corinne! So happy to connect with you:-)

      Delete
  4. That was beautiful.. made me miss home (Bangalore) and smile at the memories.
    I am going to read that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot:-) I so appreciate your kind words. Yes, do read it:-)

      Delete
  5. I loved reading your description of Mumbai. It sounds like a truly magical place that until I became apart of Write Tribe hardly knew existed. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathy! The tribe surely open up for some new impressions:-) All the best

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful description. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot:-) So happy you liked it:-)

      Delete
  7. Lovely description of the city, Eli. I ahve my own interpretation of this city which has been my home for the last 3 years. Will share soon. First time on your blog through Write Tribe....will see ya around more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:-) Looking forward to read your interpretation:-) All the best

      Delete
  8. Hi Eli, it's my first visit to your blog, and I'm sure it wont be the last. Loved your description of Mumbai. It's been a city that I've repeatedly both fallen in and out of love with ! But your description makes it sound so magical :) I'm definitely going to pick this one up. Oh, and welcome to the tribe !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much:-) I so appreciate your kind words! Happy to connect:-)

      Delete
  9. Eli, this outlook of the city brings a smile to my face. You are not from the country but yes somehow I could see you syncing well with the place like any other one of us..

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Richa. You are always so kind, and I was moved by your sweet words:-) Big hugs to you

      Delete
  10. Amazing Post Eli. Loved reading the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sougata:-) So happy you enjoyed it. All the best:-)

      Delete
  11. Eli, I've also read Maximum City and loved it. Another book I liked was A fine balance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fine_Balance.
    It is a hard book, but yet very nice because it is about the strength of the Indian people. The rest I cannot tell, you have to read it !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi dear Goedele:-) Yes, I read A fine balance.. A very harsh book, one you do not forget, but amazing.. I agree. Big hugs to you, and hope all is well back in Belgium with you all:-)

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one:-)