Sunday 10 August 2014

Monsooney Mumbai

Rain. Rain. Rain. The rickshaws pull down their raincoat curtains. The roads turn into rivers of brown water. You leave your fancy shoes at home and wander out in plastic flip-flops and jump (as elegantly as you can) over lakes of water gathered in the middle of the street. It doesn't stop. All day. From morning till night. And till morning again. 

And then the joy. The kids playing in the rain. That breeze of freshness in the air. That lovely moment when you see the glimpse of blue sky up there in between the old trees in the deep green forest. The joy of just throwing the umbrella away and feeling your bare toes getting all wet in the green grass. Because it is still warm - all hot and humid in the Mumbai monsoon. (ya ya, we look out for snakes and leopards..:-))


And then the joy of getting back home inside. Dry up, cuddle up on the couch, watch the rain pour down out there, put on some nice music, have a cup of tea and maybe some pakoras - (remember - the onion ring's exotic cousin)?

And then thinking back to when we first arrived in Mumbai, also on a rainy day, over two years ago. How the intensity of the rain and wind blew me away - (literally). And then how months and months without rain made me longing for it... How happy I was when the first raindrops came, and how happy I was when the sky again turned from grey to blue...

And then how happy I am that no matter how grey the sky is, or no matter what for that sake, there is always a cause for celebration over here in India. So also today!

Because if you have a sibling you love - today is the day to show her/him that. Please read more about the celebration on my post from last year.

Happy Raksha Bandhan, dear reader. I wish you all the best.



19 comments:

  1. It rains very scantily in Delhi! But as I read this it is drizzling and I so want it to rain harder and I can cuddle up in my room with a book and tea! Sigh!
    You have so beautifully described your relationship with Mumbai! Love it!
    Happy Rakhi to you too dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Aditi! Always so happy to see your kind words:-) Big hugs

      Delete
  2. Hey Eli! Ur post makes me teary eyed and missing Mumbai like hell. I haven't forgotten you and gimme few more days..been stuck with work.
    Gorgeous post. Nothing beats Mumbai monsoon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aawww Vishal... I know u miss Mumbai... Sure, let me know:-) All the best

      Delete
  3. Yes those Mumbai rains are quite something, aren't they? I experienced them myself over the last couple of weeks when I was there taking care of my father who was suffering badly because of his acute arthritis in those rains. We were able to shift him to Delhi because it is so dry there comparatively :) But it sure was very green because of those non-stop rains, and yes there were the mandatory puddles and lakes too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Beloo for sharing your memories... Treasures for sure. Hope your dad was better in Delhi! But yes, sooo green- I love that:-) Warm hugs dear friend

      Delete
  4. Wow.. what a lovely description of Mumbai Monsoon. I', in Pune and the rain is not so bad here either! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he - I bet... Thank you so much - happy you enjoyed it:-) Hugs

      Delete
  5. I am from Mumbai and reading your post about Mumbai rains has made me nostalgic :) Loved reading it. Happy rakshabandhan to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Sulekha- sooo happy you liked it - being your city and all...:-) Big hugs

      Delete
  6. The rains in Mumbai are different. I always liked to watch it from my balcony, snuggled up in the comfort of my light quilt with tea and a book. Being out in the rains especially after work and that too in the local train... still gives me shivers :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bet... Thanks for sharing dear Shilpa:-) Always so happy to see you here:-)

      Delete
  7. Dearest Eli,
    Only those that have lived in the more tropical regions do fully understand what the wet monsoon really is about!
    I had to laugh about not wearing your fancy shoes. Oh, flipflops are a must and often I held my shoes in my hand as I tried to place my feet on some safe pavement and sidewalks. In Indonesia I had made remarks about how stupid their sidewalks were designed for a rather tiny people, without long legs and heights we knew in e.g. The Netherlands. But once the wet monsoon started I learned to 'see' the answer. That was the only way to stay afloat as often streets turned into a stream of water!
    But yes, water mans life and if you have had to live for two months during the dry monsoon without water, than you make the happy dance when it starts again pouring down!
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so happy to see your encouraging and reflected thoughts in your feedback dearest Mariette. So enjoy reading your comments. Thank you. Take care sweetie:-) Big hugs

      Delete
  8. Happy Raksha Bandhan dear Eli! :) You do have a way of spinning the mood for the rains here, loved reading it! And pakoras... yummm and I usually love pairing it with bobbing ginger tea. Mumbai rains are indeed gorgeous - and the best part is that when it rains here, it usually pours and it continues for days. Lots of love and hugs to you, my friend, enjoy your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm- ginger tea- must be perfect. Thank you dear Arti - always makes me smile to read your kind words my dear friend. Hope all is good - sending lots of love and warm hugs back to you:-)

      Delete
  9. The rain makes the place so much beautiful and greener. And with tea and fritters, even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Rajlakshmi:-) Always so happy to see you here, dear:-)

      Delete
  10. I have been in Pune for 5 years and I enjoyed the monsoons there. Great description of Mumbai monsoons Eli :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear reader, I love comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave one:-)